3.16.2008

landing

Maybe it wasn't a good idea to watch Die Hard 2 the day my mother took off for Germany.

But I don't make very good decisions around the time my family members are traveling. Last year I read DC's Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven, But Nobody Wants to Die as both my parents left me in charge of my little sister for their trip to Italy. REALLY bad idea.

Oh well.

That wasn't the entire inspiration for this post. This is:
Today as I was leaving the airport I saw this truck pulling out of the short term parking with the familiar "JUST MARRIED" tagging all over it. Streamers, too. It made me daze off into make-believe land where I imagined an entire scenario about their lives.

I imagined this couple just back from their honeymoon. The groom (who I assume is the man I saw in the drivers' seat) was sunburned with some very not-so-attractive coon eyes. And smoking a cigar as they pulled out of the parking line.

The line "Back to reality" seems a vast understatement.

What is it like to return from a honeymoon? There is a lot of activity in the marriage track around me currently. On the good side, several dear dear friends of mine are headed toward marriage or are recently wed and doing fine. These are exciting times.

On the bad side, the couple I looked to as my romantic inspiration has recently fizzled out. Broken lives and questions... I feel stuck because I don't know what to hope for. These are not exciting times.

What is it like to land on the tarmac, realize that it is indeed back to reality, and the man you married is cheesily sporting coon-lines on a sunburned face and rolling a cigar around in his fingers?

who knew airports would be such a part of my life?

No comments: