4.02.2008

words, WORD, AWADies

The other day I went to the library and checked out:
Tim O'Brien's July, July
Anu Grang's Another Word A Day
Fletch Lives
and
Coldplay's A Cold Rush of Blood to the Head

I've really enjoyed all of them so far. I'm still reading through AWAD. And for awhile I've been thinking about words. Always, actually, but recently phrases in particular.

Do you ever get a phrase caught in your head and come up with an entire scene in a story around that one phrase?

I had this one the other week that popped into my head: "Intellectuals of a certain persuasion"
I picture a pub or coffee shop and several men in tweed jackets with pipes. Juxtaposed against several scene kids of our generation holding lattes and peering at each other from behind their black rimmed plastic glasses. 

Then there's one of my favorite phrases ever: The Divine Expression 
That phrase just makes me feel tingly. It expresses something I wish I could express better. Biblical commentators use it when they talk about the first 18 verses of the book of John. It's all about the Divine Expression, yo.

There are several little phrases that make me excited...
infinite, passion, lovely

and so many more words. they just totally get me. 
what are yours?

No comments: